EnergyPlus

Welcome! Please add your suggestion below or vote on other ideas for improving EnergyPlus following the posted guidelines.

This website is exclusively for ideas and suggestions for the EnergyPlus simulation engine.

This site is NOT intended for:

To link a suggestion to an existing Unmet Hours question or GitHub issue, simply copy and paste the URL into the suggestion.

How can we improve EnergyPlus?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. keep solar datasets up to date

The solar datasets SandiaPVdata.idf and SolarCollectors.idf have not been updated in quite a while, but could be annually like the LCCusePriceEscalationDataSetYYYY.idf is. NREL's System Advisor Model (SAM) comes with several CSV libraries that could be used for this.

https://sam.nrel.gov/libraries

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. New Cross Platform and Modern EP-Launch

EP-Launch Lite that is distributed on non-Windows installs of EnergyPlus is not functionally equivalent to EP-Launch on Windows. It does not support all the same utilities or options. EP-Launch has not had a significant GUI update in many years. EP-Launch would be rewritten to have a more modern GUI while supporting all the same utilities and options and would be made to be cross platform compatible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Improve development workflows by transitioning all E+ utilities to C++/Python

Despite the core of E+ being fully transitioned to C++, there are a number of legacy stand-alone projects in E+ that still require developers work in FORTRAN or other languages. The following is a list of all current FORTRAN projects remaining in the E+ project.

* Basement
    * CalcSoilSurfTemp
    * ConvertESOMTR
    * ExpandObjects
    * HVAC-Diagram
    * ParametricPreprocessor
    * ReadVars
    * Slab
    * Transition

*Basement and Slab* programs can be eliminated, at some point, and transitioned to the new basement and slab objects incorporated into E+.

*CalcSoilSurfTemp* can be incorporated into E+. New ground temperature models are already reading the weather…

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. IDF Editor for MAC

I am a Mac user and I had to install a windows partition in my computer to have Energy Plus IDF Editor running. This is the only program I run on Windows.

Once Energy Plus important part of my research, having a mac native IDF Editor can help a lot!

Otherwise, when a program is launched for more than one platform it is quite polite to offer them equally functional.

I am very respectful about the hard work needed to design and offer free programs. But I`m very hopeful that an IDF editor for mac can be offered soon.

Thanks

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Lighter installer package

Problem: There are an overwhelming number of accessory files, tools, and GUIs that come with the current EnergyPlus installer.

Solution: It would be cleaner to package the command line engine separately for a lighter installation for those who just want access to the engine.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create a debian package for EnergyPlus

Problem: Linux install scripts aren't as clean of installs as using a package manager like "apt-get".

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. keep solar datasets up to date

The solar datasets SandiaPVdata.idf and SolarCollectors.idf have not been updated in quite a while, but could be annually like the LCCusePriceEscalationDataSetYYYY.idf is. NREL's System Advisor Model (SAM) comes with several CSV libraries that could be used for this.

https://sam.nrel.gov/libraries

0 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Sign in to suggest ideas, vote, or participate in polls for your favorite feature request!

Feedback and Knowledge Base