How can we improve EnergyPlus?

One DX coil object to rule them all

Problem: There are several coil object types that represent DX heating or cooling with different input fields, capabilities, and source code.

Rationale: Providing a single, generalized DX coil for both heating and cooling with all capabilities will enforce consistency.

Solution: Create a single DX cooling coil that covers:

- Coil:Cooling:DX:VariableRefrigerantFlow
- Coil:Cooling:DX:VariableRefrigerantFlow:FluidTemperatureControl
- Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed
- Coil:Cooling:DX:TwoSpeed
- Coil:Cooling:DX:TwoStageWithHumidityControlMode
- Coil:Cooling:DX:MultiSpeed
- Coil:Cooling:DX:VariableSpeed
- CoilPerformance:DX:Cooling
- Coil:Cooling:WaterToAirHeatPump:ParameterEstimation
- Coil:Cooling:WaterToAirHeatPump:EquationFit
- Coil:Cooling:WaterToAirHeatPump:VariableSpeedEquationFit

and the equivalent coils for a single DX heating coil.

5 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

nealkruis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • julienmarrec commented  · 

This is only my two cents here, but I'm think I wouldn't want this, and if it was implemented, I probably wouldn't touch it even with a 10 foot pole for as long as the other ones are available.

Some of these coils (Coil:Heating:DX:Multispeed) already have 60 or so fields... Granted, I might be missing that one solution where you can create one coil to rule them all and have it clear and easy to use... If so, please discard my comment.

I understand the rationale of willing to gather similar objects into single one, as long as they are indeed quite similar. For example, gathering GasEquipment and OtherEquipment (and possibly SteamEquipment) under a FuelEquipment makes sense.

But trying to merge these 11 coils into a single object would likely create a behemoth of an object, one where you have way too many fields, many of which would or wouldn't apply depending on the end goal (underlying object) you have in mind, and it'll likely create a ton of confusion (and probably not only for beginners here...). One of the major sources of confusion nowadays in E+ is that when you look at an object, short of going to look at the documentation for each field, you have no way of knowing whether this field applies to your object or not based on some of the \choice fields you have selected (that's one obvious limitation to a text-based file I guess)

• Amir Roth commented  · 

Not sure this would accomplish much. Once we have the one coil we would need to throw it into mount doom, and then we'd be right back where we are now.

Sign in to suggest ideas, vote, or participate in polls for your favorite feature request!

Feedback and Knowledge Base